Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Dental Disaster

I had a teeth cleaning today. I was thrilled this morning to remember it! I love getting my teeth cleaned. I know, it's weird. I feel clean and lighter afterwards. I was so excited I arrived a few minutes early. I love my usual hygienist, she asks about my daughter and the rest of my family she used to see but now lives out of the state. She's never lectured me and she's never made me feel like I didn't take care of myself. Unfortunately for me, my dental hygienist was running late today so I had someone else.

She asks me about my health and if I'm having any problems. She asks me how often I brush and floss. I brush twice a day and floss about 3 times a week. Personally I think that's huge! I don't think the majority of the population floss 3 times a month! I  was rather proud about how often I floss until today...

She does a once over to make sure everything looks fine. She points out some random "ridge" in one of my teeth, a minuscule fracture in another and a chip in another! After each comment she says "Oh! It's nothing to be worried about though!" How are chips, ridges & fractures in your teeth not something to be worried about!! If they are nothing to be worried about, why did you tell me! I'd rather not know.

Then she goes on about the importantance of flossing and something about bone loss and gum disease because I have a little bleeding after she digs at my gums with one of those hook things. Well of course I have bleeding when you poke at my flesh with a sharp object! Oh yeah, and I'm 25, I know that I am supposed to floss everyday. But thanks for letting me know just in case I didn't learn that the other hundred dental cleanings I've had over the past 25 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment